In 2020, Shraddha Walkar told cops Aaftab will ‘kill… cut’ her; they sat on it

THE EMERGENCE of a written complaint in which Shraddha Walkar, who was allegedly murdered by her live-in partner Aaftab Poonawala in Delhi in May this year, telling Mumbai police two years ago that “he tried to kill me” and threatening to “cut me up and throw me away” has brought a new twist to the case.

The complaint, filed on 23 November 2020, has also raised questions about the inaction of the police – and sparked a political firestorm with Maharashtra’s deputy chief minister Devendra Fadnavis saying his government will investigate why the police “has no action undertaken” under the previous MVA regime. .

On Wednesday, police said Walkar had withdrawn the complaint 26 days after it was filed, saying her dispute with Poonawala had been resolved.

However, when asked by The Indian Expressa police officer at the Tulinj police station where the complaint was lodged admitted that they did not summon Poonawala once.

“We didn’t summon Aaftab. We were first waiting to record the complainant’s detailed statement. Then we would have called Aaftab for questioning,” senior police inspector Rajendra Kamble said.

” id=”yt-wrapper-box” >

When asked about the investigation conducted after receiving the complaint, Kamble said: ‘We called Shraddha to take her detailed statement. We also visited her house twice. Once it was locked… the second time was on December 19 when she said she wanted to withdraw her complaint.”

Police said that after recording her statement, Walkar was told by letter that an investigation into her complaint was closed.

READ ALSO | What those who are incarcerated like Shraddha Walkar should do

Deputy Inspector Sandeep Bhosale, who was asked to investigate the complaint, could not be reached for comment. But The Indian Express spoke to several retired senior officers who said police should have responded quickly to the complaint.

After his arrest 11 days ago, about a month after Walkar was reported missing, Poonawala is said to have told Delhi police that he had strangled her in their rented flat in Delhi’s Mehrauli district on May 18 this year, cut her body into more than 30 pieces and dumped the parts in a forest close to.

In her written complaint filed two years ago, Walkar wrote: “Today he tried to kill me by suffocating me and he scares me and blackmails me that he will kill me, cut me up and throw me away. It’s been six months since he hit me, but I didn’t have the guts to go to the police because he threatened to kill me.”

Walkar also wrote that she was staying with Poonawala and they planned to get married. According to the complaint, Poonawala’s family knew about their relationship and that he insulted her.

“His parents know that he beats me and that he tried to kill me. They also know that we live together in the east and they come to visit on weekends. I have lived with him till date as we were due to get married any minute and I had the blessings of his family,” Walkar’s complaint stated.

She also wrote that she doesn’t want to stay with Poonawala anymore. “From now on I am not willing to live with him, so any kind of physical damage should be considered as coming from him, as he blackmailed me to kill or hurt me whenever he sees me anywhere,” she stated in the complaint.

On December 3, 2020, ten days after filing her complaint, Walkar underwent three days of treatment at Ozone Multispeciality Hospital in Nalasopara for suspected internal injuries.

According to Kamble, she subsequently withdrew her complaint.

“We have launched an investigation and subpoenaed her. We contacted her several times to ask her to come to the police station. She kept asking for time and later took a statement saying she was withdrawing her complaint,” Kamble said.

According to the police, Walkar’s statement about the withdrawal of her complaint was recorded on December 19, 2020 at the rented apartment in Vasai where the couple was staying at the time.

The statement read: “There was a dispute between me and Poonawala after which I lodged a complaint with the police on 23 November (2020). Later, Poonawala’s parents came to our house and advised us which settled our dispute. So I continue to pray to the police to withdraw my complaint.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *